Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Studio tour

Yesterday turned into a very productive day... my desperation to avoid work, coupled with my solemn promise to NOT avoid work by sewing or knitting or other craftiness, finally yielded a CLEAN loft. I haven't seen it this neat or clean since... before we moved in. Heh. So here's where I work, sew, gaze out the window, sleep, read, etc. -- I only get three to four waking hours up here every day, but it's usually enough to keep my spirit going.

Coming up the ladder into the loft: I created a new knitting nook by moving several months' worth of crap off this old chair (which will soon have a rainbow serape cover, which is now clean and drying). The north-facing window looks out on the Bear Mountains:


Turning toward the east, this door leads to a small balcony outside; the shelves hold some but not all of my insane fabric stash (not yet organized; that's the next project in Operation Anti-Clutter) as well as fabric dyes (this summer's new endeavor) and beads, and I also have my dresser and jewelry up here:


Here's my work desk, facing south, with a great view of the Magdalena Mountains and the big blue sky:


And I do my sewing in the (north)west corner at the foot of the bed, right under a skylight:


Next up (now that it's CLEAN!!!): I'll add some track lighting above the sewing area, continue decluttering and organizing by craft type, and finally start putting stuff on the walls. I noticed yesterday that I have none, but NONE of my photography up, and given that this is my main creative/inspirational space, that's a big gap. Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home....

1 comment:

Emily said...

It is so fascinating to see other people's creative spaces. Thanks for sharing.