Monday, February 20, 2006

"Keeping your eyes closed is worse than being blind"

That's one of my all-time favorite lyrics, from Doc Pomus' "(There is Always) One More Time." Sung by B.B. King, of course. Johnny Adams does a slower soulful version that I like, too, but King's guitar riffs go straight through my bones.

Eyes opened today to:
-Another mining tragedy, entirely preventable yet inevitable because of, what else, corporate greed
-Another opportunity for oil companies to jack up their prices, surely setting up another record-breaking quarter for the industry and laying the groundwork for Bush&Co. to "bring democracy" to poor, downtrodden Nigeria (the US' fifth-largest oil supplier). Here's one view from China on the larger picture of oil in Africa... I'm becoming fascinated with prospects of the US and China having to somehow deal with each other as competition for oil (i.e. political domination over oil-producing nations) heats up. If the US goes ahead with its apparent plan to "tame" Iran, will China enter the fray to protect its own interests? If so, what fate might Walmart and its ilk then suffer? Oil wars and nukes and China, oh my!
-"Katrina Katrina, why'd you blow so hard" (to the tune of "Corrina Corrina") by T.J. Wheeler, performed live and scorching on WUMB
-Some great tips on how to counter arguments from nincompoops who believe the idea of global warming is a plot hatched by left-wing commie freaks

Today is a work day (thanks to the holiday, Marin is off from school and available to babysit my adorable little ankle-biters) but, having had one cup of coffee too many, I'm "multi-tasking" -- work a bit, blog a bit and, demonstrating the desperate depths of my obstinance to work, cleaning up my messy, messy loft. I've managed to refrain from more artistic pursuits so far, mainly because my first burst of cleaning energy has put the baskets of knitting, sewing, embellishing, etc. out of reach. For now.

Back to... oh, yeah, work.

No comments: