Sunday, July 28, 2002

I've been meaning to post for a few days now, but taking care of Lazarus on my own is pretty all-consuming. I'm getting a taste now of single-motherhood: Antonio and Johnnie left for their big road trip at 3 a.m. Thursday and made it to Flagstaff by around noon. They camped out and took off for Durango Friday morning... I think... Antonio called once on Thursday and once on Friday; the latter conversation consisted of a few moments of jagged "are you there" exchanges before I lost him, and I haven't been able to reach him since. So much for wireless everywhere - I guess Cingular doesn't have that cross-country network completely set up yet. Now, dear hubby could surely have made it to a pay phone to check in - but I won't go there until I'm really good and mad. And the truth is, I'm enjoying the time to myself with no one to boss me around. So there, Mr. I'm On the Road and Damn if I'm Gonna Answer to Some Woman. In all my spare time, I do also have to feed and otherwise take care of all the fish and other critters - we now have five tanks going, including those for fish, turtle, and frogs. Between them, the cat, all my dang plants, and baby Laz, I'm starting to feel like a farmer.

Any-hoo, Laz and I have had a couple of nice days together - it's exhausting to do everything, but he sleeps well at night and takes good naps during the day, which gives me time to unwind, or wash bottles and pick up baby stuff, or (what I should be doing now) SLEEP. We took a nice long walk today - I had some errands to run, but instead of putting him in the hot car and driving, I put him in his stroller and walked to the shopping center and back, a round trip of about 2.5 miles. We window-shopped (I have got to stop shopping for baby stuff!!) and had a late lunch at Subway, and I finally got batteries for my little digital camera so that I could take some new pix of my beautiful babe!!! He is just Mr. Personality these days - I think he should get his own talk show. He loves to rest in mama's arms, and stare at ceiling fans, and lurch forward randomly (still aiming for those boobs, ever hopeful), and - knock, knock - c'mon, ma, put down the camera - this binky ain't gonna hold me much longer...

No comments: