Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The kindness of strangers



It warms my heart to hear and read stories of people's generosity during hard times, and the photo above, showing just one day's shipments of quilts to Hurricane Katrina evacuees in Houston, made my day. Quilts Inc. now reports that "Due to the overwhelmingly positive response from quilters worldwide, the Quilters Comfort America project has received more than enough quilts to place with evacuees. If you were planning on sending us a quilt but have not yet, we urge you to find use for it to help those within your own community. Thank you for your efforts."

I just dug my stash of flannels out of the shed, so I'll start planning and cutting some flannel crib and single-bed quilts to donate for kids around here. Still gotta finish Maggie's flannel quilt... I'm just not in sewing mode. But I'm knitting, finally! Sure enough, as soon as the nights started getting nippy, out came the yarn and the needles. I have two projects going now, one a basic garter-stitch pullover for Lazarus using some sturdy golden-yellow wool a friend gave me last fall, the other a fancy cable pullover for Maggie using some gorgeous turquoise wool/alpaca/soy silk from the local mill. I always have to have two projects going so that I have an easy one (for TV and tired times) and a challenging one (to hold my interest and make me feel like less of a hack). I have two more projects planned (a cardigan for each kid) and three after that (yarn on hand but patterns not selected). The days get shorter, the sun sets earlier, the gardens are as good as they're gonna get this year, so it's time to change my evening routines.... I'm watching TV again, and am becoming a Daily Show regular. Antonio usually works pretty late over at the store after dinner, so once I get the kids to bed, I get some alone time.

No comments: