Friday, March 21, 2003

Springtime for Dubya in the oil fields

Lazarus was 10 months old yesterday; I took him to see his grampa Chuck at the hospital, who isn't feeling so well but was really, really happy to see his lil' buddy. Today is the first day of spring, and all that snow is indeed melting, slowly. And we leave for Magdalena in a week (just to visit... probably), which gives my heart a thrill every time I think about it.

I'm hanging on to this mundane stuff because the antics of Dubya and his gang are really getting me down today. I've tried in the past few days to be a good citizen and inform myself by watching the news, but I just can't stomach the live views of Baghdad getting bombed or the hostile, arrogant news conferences with Don Rummyface or John Asscraft or Tom Over-the-Ridge. These people have some frickin' nerve to talk about evil empires and rogues and reckless disregard for the people's will. Rumsfeld said, in a speech on 4 March to current and former members of Congress, that "reasonable people, given the same set of facts, tend to find their way to reasonably similar conclusions." Unless he's suggesting that he and the Dubya Gang aren't reasonable people, he has dismissed all the dissenting people and nations of the world as "unreasonable" and, therefore, not worth considering.

I do want to make one thing clear: I hate this war and feel betrayed by the hooligans staging it, but I support and pray for the US and other troops who got sent into the middle of this conflict. God be with them, and peace also.

No comments: