Wednesday, January 08, 2003

Mama, when things get really bad, just find something to chew on. You'll feel better, really you will.



I think our house is officially sold -- escrow closed yesterday, unless someone is lying to us... it was quite an ordeal, not throughout but just yesterday, the "last possible day" (according to several involved) for funding, etc., because someone who didn't do their job a month ago decided Monday night to throw a monkey wrench into things. So we spent most of yesterday -- a beautiful 60+ degree day -- inside on the phone, looking up old records, faxing stuff, and sweating things out until we got reasonable assurances that everything would go through after all.

Funny thing was, we were about to go out around lunchtime but I couldn't find my keys *anywhere* -- a sudden problem I've had nowhere but here -- and while I was searching for them we got the first alarm/phone call. If we'd missed that call, we'd have come home to no check in the mail and quite possibly an expired deal. And I didn't find my keys until four hours later, after we'd made the last call.... Yesterday was just a bad day. Not just because of the troubles but also because my house isn't my house anymore. I'm really happy for the woman who bought it -- it's her first house; she has two kids and is moving from east LA, and our realtor says she "absolutely loves it"... but I still sort of can't believe I let this happen. We went to Home Depot today to pick up a few things, and as I was strolling through tile, flooring and carpeting, paint, etc., I got so sad... I almost wondered why we bothered buying a house and fixing it up, putting all that energy into it. But I thought it would be my home for a long time -- more than two years, at least. Time to make it worthwhile to put down some roots and invest myself in the place. Pick out paint and tile and window treatments, and plant a baby fruit tree that won't start bearing for four or five more years, and dream about what we might do next.

But I also know I made this decision consciously. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be -- both giving up my home and moving into a smaller, older house that isn't mine, but I keep telling myself to have faith that this passage will take us to the next, even better place. Both physically and spiritually. Here's the view I have in mind, that might keep me going through this darkish winter:

No comments: