Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day!

Love to all you mamas out there... I've had a mixed day (a bit of escape time, and a poop-encrusted Maggie when I got back), but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Even an ice-cold bottomless margarita sipped while gazing at a tropical sunset somewhere far away, where the ocean waves lull me to sleep at night and gently awaken me at dawn.... Not that I've never been tempted....

I wish I could update more often, but I just haven't gotten much computer time lately. One reason: it's planting time! I got my veggie garden planted, finished tweaking the drip irrigation system, and have laid black plastic over most of the beds. That's a new one for me -- I keep reading about how it minimizes moisture loss (especially important here, where humidity has been around 8%) and also raises soil temperature, equally important because the nights are so cool even in midsummer. Last year my tomatoes just didn't ripen, except for a few tantalizingly sweet cherry tomatoes, and that just will not do -- I can't live without garden fresh tomatoes. So if the black plastic doesn't work, next year I might just invent some sort of solar/water heating system for them. It would give me my tomatoes and also maybe be patentable....

I just totalled up my jewelry sales at the co-op gallery so far: $467 since we opened eleven days ago (two bracelets, three necklaces, and seven pairs of earrings). Not bad -- I've recouped my whole investment as a co-op member and have started to make a dent in my materials costs. And that doesn't count a commission order from a neighbor who wants two necklace/earring sets. So, given how much I enjoy doing it, it's turning into a good little venture. I need to take pictures of my more recent stuff before it sells (I missed one necklace and a watch) -- speaking of pictures, here are two of my lovely children, from an outing with Granna and Granpa last month:



That's it for now. I have more pictures in the camera, and I also have work coming in next week, so I might actually update more than once this month. You just can't wait, can you?

1 comment:

Emily said...

Congrats on the jewelry sales, that's impressive. And happy Mother's Day, those are beautiful, beautiful picts of the kids!