Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Then and Now

Lazarus, a year ago:


This or That Tuesday: Surf's up!
Do you surf sites at random, or have a set list of regular reads?
-Mostly regular reads -- some days I get a lot of comfort in going to familiar places. I only surf at random when I'm looking something up (yesterday it was hummingbirds and dog breeds), and even that is fairly directed surfing.

Do you visit mostly blogs, or news or other sites?
-Mostly blogs. I've definitely migrated away from mainstream news sites; I rarely just surf for news unless I hear something is going on and want specific information. Like all mainstream media, Web news has become so "packaged" and unreliable -- but I have found a bunch of cool alternative sites (see links at right) that I visit when I want to pretend I'm getting informed about current events.

Which news site do you prefer: MSNBC.com or CNN.com? Or do you prefer some other one?
-Puh-leeze -- neither. They're both so breathlessly sensational and slick, and I find myself getting ranty when I go to either one, or others of their ilk. I go to Salon, AlterNet.org, and IndyMedia when I get curious about what the despotic hooligans running the New World are up to these days.

Live chat rooms, or message boards?
-Message boards -- generally just one, with my beloved "synchro mamas" (we all got pregnant and had babies around the same time, but have also found we have many other things in common). Live chat just seems too lame, plus I'm always doing 10 things when I'm on the computer and don't want to have to interrupt one thing to keep up with another.

Instant messaging or e-mail?
-Email -- it gives me time to think about what I want to say, and edit as needed. Notice a trend here? I like to do things on my time.

No comments: