Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Singin' in the rain

I'm hearing the most amazing thing outside my window right now... frogs! We had real rain today and I guess that was enough to bring them out. I have no idea what species I'm hearing -- it could be any one of the numerous types found here in Socorro County. Rooting around on the Web... let's see here... it could be one of these guys:



That would be the New Mexico Spadefoot (Spea multiplicata), the official state amphibian. I can't see them, of course, but they sound like this (you need WinAmp to hear, I think). I guess a real rain brings them out in abundance, which gives me another reason to hope for a good "monsoon" (i.e. rainy) season this summer. The sound of frogs makes me so happy... This is the first time in ages I've lived near frogs, and that must be a good sign.

Froggy goes ribbit...

No comments: