Saturday, May 24, 2003

Spiders and centipedes and scorpions, oh my!

With a new habitat come new critters. I've seen (and heard) many different kinds of birds, rabbits, a coyote, antelope, elk, deer, lizards, and, most recently, some of these:



Lucky me -- some people pay good money for them; I get them running in my back door, right onto the carpet Lazarus and I (used to) sit on to relax and play. The dog wants to play with them but they run too fast.

"Scorpions are nocturnal, predatory animals that feed on a variety of insects, spiders, centipedes, and other scorpions. The larger scorpions occasionally feed on vertebrates, such as smaller lizards, snakes, and mice. Prey are located primarily by sensing vibrations. The pedipalps have an array of fine sensory hairs called trichobothria that sense air-borne vibrations; the tips of the legs have small organs that detect vibrations in the ground."

That explains why the little suckers race into the back room every time I open the sliding door after dark.

"The average scorpion probably lives three to five years, but some species undoubtedly live at least 10-15 years."

I guess that means the one that darted into the laundry room last night is there to stay. Wonderful.

"Despite their bad reputation, only one species in the U.S. and about 20 others worldwide have venom potent enough to be considered dangerous to humans. The US species, Centruroides exilicauda (formerly called C. sculpturatus), is found over much of Arizona. A small population occurs in extreme southeastern California, and a few records exist for southern Utah. The venom of this scorpion may produce severe pain and swelling at the site of the sting, numbness, frothing at the mouth, difficulties in breathing (including respiratory paralysis), muscle twitching, and convulsions. Death is rare, especially in more recent times. An antivenom is available for severe cases."

They didn't mention New Mexico. Then again, most of the US population thinks New Mexico is Arizona, or in Arizona.

"Scorpions are difficult to control with insecticides alone. Therefore, the first control strategy is to modify the area surrounding a house. Remove all trash, logs, boards, stones, bricks and other objects from around the home...."

I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow during my work breaks. During daylight. With gloves on. Shoes, too. Sheesh. But if that doesn't work, well, lucky for me, the wonders of e-commerce will bring a solution right to my doorstep.

I can take (small, shy) spiders, and lizards, and even snakes. But these suckers creep me out.

No comments: