Wednesday, January 29, 2003

We're back in Denver, where it's warmish (50s) and sunny... Lazarus and I took a nice walk this afternoon and it felt wonderful to go outside in just two layers and without having to brace myself against the cold. I had a good time in Philly with my parents, but we only went out a few times, and if I hadn't been in winter hibernation mode, I'd have gone stir crazy.

As it was, I stayed indoors, listened to mom and dad enjoy Laz's company, and spent way too much time on Ebay bidding on fabric. I have such strange obsessions... I did procure some good flannels from various Ebayers for my Arden Baby line of two-sided quilted flannel blankets... And, in my usual roundabout way, I found an amazing source for batiks that happens to be just up the road, in Boulder. That's where I'll get materials for the Arden Baby batik rompers with patch-panel insets that will go into production, I hope, in another month or so, along with the bright and beautiful Arden Baby Guatemalan cotton overalls. More on all THAT later.

I realized today, cleaning up the bedroom and office upstairs, that thinking about my (now former) house doesn't make me cry anymore. I might be saying this too hastily -- I had middle-of-the-night sobbing fits last week thinking of Lazarus' nursery and the fruit cocktail tree we planted last year -- but for today, at least, I'm doing okay with all this. Of course, on Monday, Antonio mentioned going down to Magdalena (NM) next week to hang out for a while at William's house, go scout out the property, get to know the area better... something about the way he was talking made me wonder if he's thinking about us moving there sooner rather than later. That would make me so happy, I think... I've been craving New Mexico the entire seven-plus years I've been gone, and it's just getting more acute now that we don't really have a home. With the profit from selling our California house, we could start developing our little slice of heaven -- get the well dug and septic system put in, start the process to get power out there, and... just go stand on the mesa and get high on the pinon-laced air and the deep blue sky.

I'm ready.



No comments: